One of the most devastating personal injuries you can experience after a car or truck accident are those that leave you disfigured. Disfiguring injuries can impact your self-esteem, self-concept, and, can impact your ability to work, enjoy former life tasks, or participate in the community. Individuals who are healing from disfiguring injuries may require plastic surgery, reconstructive surgery, and counseling to help them cope with the changes that these injuries can bring. These injuries can be difficult because every time you look at your face or body, you might be reminded of your accident and the trauma it caused.
If you or a loved one were disfigured in an accident in Canton, Van Zandt, Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson, Paris, or Marshall, Texas, you may be entitled to seek damages for your medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, rehabilitation expenses, and plastic or reconstructive surgery. You may only have a limited amount of time to seek damages if you’ve been hurt due to another person’s negligence or neglect. Contact the Cooper Law Firm today to learn more about your options and rights under the law.
Causes of Disfiguring Injuries in Texas
Many different types of accidents in Texas can lead to disfiguring injuries. The Cooper Law Firm works with clients who have been injured in a range of circumstances, from car accidents to truck accidents. What are some common causes of disfiguring injuries?
- Fires (Burn Injuries): Car accidents, workplace accidents, and truck accidents can result in fires. While many cars are designed to be fire-resistant, sometimes accidents are so serious that they result in fires. In other cases, defects in a vehicle might result in a fire. In the news there have been reports of battery defects leading to car fires. Some of these fires can be difficult to put out. Whether your burns are the result of a crash or a defective vehicle, the Cooper Law Firm are personal injury attorneys in Texas who may be able to assist you with your claim.
- Car Crashes: Car crashes can leave victims suffering from disfiguring injuries due to amputations, scarring, or due to facial injuries. If you have suffered a disfiguring injury in a car crash, report your accident to your insurance immediately, and consider reaching out to a personal injury lawyer if your injuries are serious.
- Truck Accidents: Because of the sheer size and weight of a truck, the chances that victims will end up with disfiguring or serious injuries can be higher than for other types of accidents. The Cooper Law Firm are truck accident lawyers in Texas who can assist victims with this type of personal injury claim.
- Chemical Injuries Due to Toxic Exposure (in truck accidents or industry): Trucks sometimes carry hazardous or toxic chemicals that can burn the skin. When truck companies fail to take measures to contain toxic chemicals, or when negligence on a driver’s part results in the release of toxic chemicals that leads to disfiguring or serious injuries, truck companies or drivers could be held responsible.
- Amputation Accidents (motorcycle accidents, bike accidents, pedestrian accidents): Any kind of automobile crash can result in an amputation. This can be a very serious disfiguring injury, because not only does it change the way a person looks, but it also can lead to disability. If you have suffered an amputation in a crash, the Cooper Law Firm may be able to assist you with your claim.
- And more
These are just a few of the situations where individuals might be seriously injured. If you’ve been hurt in any of these kinds of accidents, you may be entitled to seek damages from negligent parties and may be entitled to make a claim with insurance companies. If you have questions about your rights and options after this devastating injury, contact the Cooper Law Firm, a Texas personal injury lawyer today.
Compensation for Disfiguring Injuries
If you have suffered a burn injury, amputation, or scarring injury, particularly if you have a scar on a part of your body that is visible, like your face, arms, neck, or hands, you might be entitled to seek more money in damages. The younger you are, the more money in compensation you may be able to seek in compensation. Disfiguring injuries can impact a person’s ability to find a partner, make friends, enjoy social activities, and in some cases, can even impact a person’s job prospects. Some disfiguring injuries can also impair mobility. For example, some types of burns and scars, when they form over a joint, can make it difficult for a person to move that body part.
How much is your scar or disfiguring injury worth? This largely depends on where the scar is located, how old you are, what line of work you do, and whether the scar impacts your mobility and life activities. For example, a young woman suffering a facial scar might be entitled to seek more money in damages than an older man suffering from a scarring injury. A model might be able to seek more money in damages for a scar than a person who does other type of work, because a scar could impact his or her earning capacity. Furthermore, if your scar impacts your ability to perform daily tasks or your ability to work, you may be entitled to seek more money in compensation. If you need to undergo plastic or reconstructive surgery to reduce the appearance of the scar or burn, you may also be entitled to seek compensation for the cost of these surgeries.
If you have been scarred or disfigured due to another person or party’s negligence or neglect, you may be entitled to seek damages for your pain and suffering, lost wages, medical bills, and rehabilitation expenses. You may also be entitled to make an insurance claim for your losses. The Cooper Law Firm are personal injury lawyers in Texas who can take the time to evaluate your claim and help you seek the maximum compensation permitted under the law.
Seek Help For Your Disfiguring Injury Today
Disfiguring injuries not only impact your body, they impact your psychological well-being, heart, and mind. The Cooper Law Firm are personal injury lawyers in Texas who understand how devastating these kinds of injuries can be. If you have suffered a disfiguring injury in a car accident or truck accident in Texas, you may have the right to seek damages for your losses. Contact our firm today to learn more about your rights and options under the law.