If you or a loved one has been hurt in a truck accident, you may have many questions and concerns. You might wonder what your next steps should be. The best thing to do after a truck accident injury is to contact a truck accident lawyer in Texas, like the Cooper Law Firm. The Cooper Law Firm are truck accident attorneys in Canton, Van Zandt, Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson, Paris, and Marshall, Texas who can review your situation and help you seek the damages you may deserve under the law. Every truck accident claim is unique and the answers to the frequently asked questions below are meant to be purely informative. No answers below can replace the advice of the Cooper Law Firm, Texas truck accident lawyers.
- What makes a truck accident claim different from a car accident claim? It helps to have a lawyer who specializes in truck accident claims on your side. Why? Truck accidents can leave victims suffering more serious injuries. Trucks are larger in size and when crashes occur, they can cause more damage. Furthermore, trucks are highly regulated by state and federal law. Truck drivers must abide by hours of service laws, trucks must be loaded within certain weight limits, and there may be a range of other restrictions truck companies must follow. When truck companies cut corners or break the law, accidents can happen. A truck accident lawyer like the Cooper Law Firm in Texas can review and investigate your case to determine whether the truck company or driver broke these laws. Finally, there may be more responsible parties after a truck accident. In a passenger vehicle claim there may just be the driver, but in a truck accident claim, you might have the driver, the insurance company, the truck company, the shipping company, and even parts manufacturers.
- Who is responsible after a truck accident, the driver or the truck company? One of the complexities of a truck accident claim involves determining who is at fault. The truck driver may be responsible if he or she makes an error behind the wheel, but the company may also be at fault if the company pressured the driver to break hours of service laws, or if the company failed to vet its drivers and ensure that they met all requirements. The Cooper Law Firm are truck accident attorneys in Texas who can review the case and determine which parties may be at fault.
- How is fault or negligence determined after a truck accident. One of the most important questions the truck accident attorneys at the Cooper Law Firm might ask is who is at fault for your accident. Many factors go into determining fault, including whether the truck driver was in violation of state and federal regulations. How much at fault the truck driver or truck company is found to be will impact the value of your claim.
- What is my truck accident claim worth? The value of your truck accident claim will depend on many factors, like the seriousness of your injuries, whether you have been permanently disabled, and how much at fault the truck driver or company is for your crash. The Cooper Law Firm are Texas truck accident lawyers who can review your case, use formulas to estimate your pain and suffering damages, and help you seek the best possible compensation for your losses.
- How long do I have to make a claim for my truck accident injuries? In Texas, you have up to two years to make a claim for your personal injuries following a truck accident. However, you should never wait this long to speak to an attorney. Contact the Cooper Law Firm, Texas truck accident attorneys as soon as possible to learn more about your options and rights.
- How long will my case take to settle? Every truck accident claim is unique. Some cases can be settled through demand letters and through insurance companies, while some cases may need to go to trial. The Cooper Law Firm are Texas truck accident lawyers who can look at your unique situation and help you understand the next steps. While some of the timelines will depend on what the truck company and what insurance companies do, our firm can keep you up to date on the process and how long each step might take.
- What should I do after a truck accident in Texas? If you’ve been in a truck accident in Texas, take steps to protect your safety and the safety of others. Call the police to make a police report and seek medical attention right away. Not all injuries are immediately apparent after a crash. Injuries like traumatic brain injury or post-traumatic stress disorder might take some time to become apparent. You should exchange contact information with those at the scene of the crash, get insurance information, take photos if you can, and finally, contact a truck accident lawyer like the Cooper Law Firm in Texas today.
- What damages can I seek after a truck accident? You may be entitled to seek damages for your medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damages, as well as any damages for future lost wages, future medical costs, and other losses. The Cooper Law Firm are Texas truck accident lawyers who may be able to help you seek the recovery you may deserve.
- Do I need an attorney for my truck accident claim? Truck accidents tend to be more serious than car accidents. In most cases, you’ll want to speak to the truck accident attorneys in Texas at the Cooper Law Firm.
- What can the Cooper Law Firm do for me? The Cooper Law Firm are Texas truck accident lawyers who can review your police reports, investigate your truck accident, and estimate the value of your claim. We can speak to insurance adjusters and write demand letters to negligent parties, like truck drivers and truck companies. Our firm can also take your case to court, if needed, though not all cases will need to enter that stage.
If you have questions about your truck accident claim in Texas, contact the Cooper Law Firm today. We can assist you with the claims process and help you with the legal aspects of your claim so you can focus on healing. You are not alone.